Saturday, March 6, 2010

violence jazz

Seldom have I come across a more aptly named band. Violence Jazz produces a veritable storm of sound that can only be interpreted as jazz in the broadest sense, reminiscent of some of the most tumultuous free jazz offerings. This isn't jackhammer metaljazz from the Ettrick school. If anything, it recalls some of the more pulverizing moments of Blue Humans without Arthur Doyle, Masayuki Takayanagi at his most stratospheric, or Borbetomagus if they all played guitars and/or drums.

I was also reminded of Alan Licht & Tamio Shiraishi on their brain-scorching duo sessions, but I do not detect any horns in the roiling lava of this improvised eruption. Instead, we are treated to four people trying to convince guitars & percussion to plow up pavement through sheer sonic force & exuberance. I thoroughly approve & I would love to hear more from Violence Jazz.

violence jazz - s-t



No comments:

Post a Comment